MaltaToday

News | Sunday, 02 August 2009
Bookmark and Share

Moving send-off as cyclist is laid to rest

Some 400 cyclists pedalled their way to Ibraġ and to the Addolorata Cemetery to join friends and family members at the funeral of Clifford Micallef, 45, the victim of a hit-and-run incident on Thursday.
Micallef lost his life at Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq while training for the Lifecycle Challenge that will cycle from Istanbul to Damascus. 21-year-old motorist Anthony Taliana was arraigned soon after, accused of manslaughter and driving under the influence of alcohol.
Bicycle retailer Jack Schiavone, who had lent Micallef the bicycle he was riding at the time of accident, described the victim as “a very good man, who had done a lot for cycling in Malta.”
“I never heard Cliff say one bad thing about anyone,” Schiavone told MaltaToday. “He was very active as the secretary of Malta’s Cycling Federation. On more than one occasion, he even paid out of pocket to attend international conferences so he can promote cycling in Malta. I remember how happy he was when he made a cycling tour of Malta with his son to encourage him in the sport, or when he had won the time-trial championship.”
Sarah Darmenia, a former employee at Dormax Promotional Printing, owned by Micallef, wrote an email message to MaltaToday saying: “Cliff was not just a colleague, he was a best friend.”
“Cliff was an amazing person. You had to love him, no matter what. He rarely saw anything as a problem that couldn’t be solved. His enthusiasm for life and optimism rubbed off on everybody at the office. He always walked through the door with a huge smile on his face which was contagious. Oh yes... and always with his sunglasses on.”
She said Cliff always tried helping out “anyone in any way possible, in a humane manner and with a heart of gold. I can’t even begin to put my feelings into words about what was done to him. He was stolen from us and nothing can ever get him back. Cliff will always be kept very close to our hearts and loved forever!”
Cyclist John Farrugia, an old friend of Cliff’s, vividly remembers him “in his classic Mercedes convertible back in our Saddles’ days,” referring to the St Julian’s bar the two friends frequented.
Describing him as a good spirit, full of life and always ready to help, Farrugia said: “I was lucky to have kept in touch with Cliff through work. I can say he was a hard worker and very professional in his approach. When later on in life I took up cycling quite seriously, I occasionally met Cliff on the road and enjoyed a good ride with him. He was a keen, encouraging, very mature and cautious cyclist – an example to all sportsmen. May he rest in peace.”
Childhood friend Mariella Dimech said Micallef was motivated and loyal to whatever he loved doing. “His tragic death has left everyone in shock. He was creative and had a knack for solving anyone’s problems. He was driven to be pleasant, to prove he could help and make a difference in people’s lives. He rarely burderned anyone with his own problems. He lived life to the full. I know that now he is smiling down at his children, watching over them. Smile on Cliff!”
The man accused with allegedly causing Micallef’s death was remanded in custody on Friday.
Taliana was caught some time after Thursday’s accident as his Blue Opel Astra’s number plate fell on impact.

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

Download MaltaToday Sunday issue front page in pdf file format

Reporter
All the interviews from Reporter on MaltaToday's YouTube channel.

EDITORIAL

No more platitudes on social security

INTERVIEW

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email