Back
Register for SMS Alerts
or enter your details manually below...
First Name:
Last Name:
Email:
Password:
Hometown:
Birthday:
Sorry, we couldn't find that email.
Existing users
Email
Password
Sorry, we couldn't find those details.
Enter Email
Sorry, we couldn't find that email.

Private vehicles allowed unlimited entry into civic amenity sites

Civic amenity site reform introduced to instil discipline in waste management

Martina Borg
1 September 2016, 6:29pm
Wasteserv has introduced the civic amenity sites reform, meant to curtail abuse from irresponsible commercial operators.

Civic Amenity sites are intended to provide a free service to households where they can dispose of their domestic bulky and hazardous waste, however, the current system was being used freely without any form of control by private contractors and commercial entities who have alternative means of disposing their waste.

“This essentially meant that the commercial sector was dumping its waste on Government infrastructure, circumventing gate fees and increasing costs on tax payers’ money. Thus, sites that were originally designed to provide a service to households were under severe stress due to operating beyond their capacity,” a Wasteserv statement reads.

According to Wasteserv, the reform makes it clearer to distinguish between domestic and commercial waste, based on the vehicle that the waste is being transported in.

“Private vehicles, which by their very nature indicate waste emanating from a private household, are allowed unlimited entry. For those households that only have a small commercial vehicle, the reform still provides an opportunity to utilise the vehicle at a CA site 18 times a year,” the statement points out.

It adds that the allowance coupled with the free bulky service provided by the local councils should suffice household needs.

“There is also a one time permit issued for the use of large vehicles to allow for exceptional circumstances, and alternative methods for disposing of commercial waste are still provided for through other channels.”

Environment minister Jose Herrera said that this whole exercise is intended to instil discipline in waste management, which has so far gone relatively unchecked.

Herrera made reference to the difficult EU waste targets, where Malta is still lagging behind and added that the island’s only landfill is under extreme pressure, making measures to reduce waste through better recycling essential.

“The company believes that this is an important step in addressing the sector and will be receptive of issues encountered by the public to enhance the service.”

For any information, the public is encouraged to contact the Waste Acceptance Unit on Freephone 8007 2200 or email: [email protected]

Martina Borg focuses on lifestyle and society issues
Latest Environment News
14:03
The incident took place at 8:30am with one of the two women certified as having sustaining from grievous injuries
13:14
Malta experienced the second highest increase in employment across the EU, while households' material welfare remained below the EU aver...
12:44
U.S. stocks fluctuated but mostly rose on Wednesday, while the dollar rose and Treasuries slipped as investors kept an eye on upcoming centr...
12:41
The Medical Association of Malta says that there is not a lot of scientific evidence supporting the use of medical cannabis, whereas&nb...
12:00
As May prepared to meet her fellow EU leaders in Brussels on Thursday, a series of last minute concessions by ministers and intense pressure...