Back
Register for SMS Alerts
or enter your details manually below...
First Name:
Last Name:
Email:
Password:
Hometown:
Birthday:
Sorry, we couldn't find that email.
Existing users
Email
Password
Sorry, we couldn't find those details.
Enter Email
Sorry, we couldn't find that email.

Malta against proposed EU introduction of swordfish quotas

Roderick Galdes says that the Maltese fleet should not suffer the consequences of past illegal fishing by other fleets

yannick_pace
Yannick Pace
10 October 2016, 2:12pm
Maltese government totally against introduction of swordfish quotas
Maltese government totally against introduction of swordfish quotas
The Maltese government is against a proposed introduction of a EU-wide quota on swordfish catches. In a letter to Environment Commissioner Karmenu Vella, parliamentary secretary for fisheries Roderick Galdes said that while the Maltese government was dedicated to the recovery of swordfish stocks, it was totally against quotas.

Galdes has written to the commissioner in response to a proposal he made for the introduction of a quota on swordfish catches, after alarms were raised on the sustainability of the stock by The International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT). The organisation has said that stocks have falled by a third ove the past thirty years and that the situation now merits urgent action.

Galdes said that although the use of driftnets to catch swordfish has been prohibited for a number of years, some countries are still making use of them.

The junior minister said that it was unacceptable for countries that have not implemented these regulations to be rewarded with a bigger quota, at the expense of smaller countries like Malta, that followed the rules. 

Moreover, he said that the Maltese fishermen’s catch is insignificant when compared to that of other industrial fleets in the Mediterranean because of the fact that swordfish is caught using only hooks.

He said that the Maltese fleet should not suffer consequences of past illegal fishing by other fleets.

The government, he said, is proposing that between the 1 September and 31 March, no long line in the Mediterranean should be set-up using hooks smaller than 7cm. He added that the Maltese government is also prepared to extend the fishing season, which is currently closed, from three months to six months.

Another proposal by the government is that of creating Fisheries Restricted Areas wherever it is confirmed that there is a Swordfish spawning area.

Malta is asking for an exemption from new measures aimed at countries that have never declared catches of swordfish caught using driftnets. The exemption should also be extended to traditional longliners.

These proposals are to be discussed at a meeting of the Council of the European Union on Monday 10 October 2016.

yannick_pace
Yannick joined MaltaToday as a journalist in 2016. His main areas of interest are politics...
Latest Environment News
18:27
A laptop that could prove crucial to the investigation has been recovered from the wreckage of the car that exploded with Daphne Caruana Gal...
16:40
Brexit bill faces ‘weeks of delays’ over fears Tory rebels could vote against it
16:39
Deborah Schembri said she had been misinterpreted or had not explained herself well enough, but insisted that she could not accept the argum...
16:28
An improptu memorial to Daphne Caruana Galizia has been set up in Valletta as members of the public place flowers at the foot of the Great S...
16:01
MaltaToday took to the streets of Valletta to understand what the people made of Daphne Caruana Galizia's murder as the country still co...