Steamed artichokes stuffed with porcini and fresh herbs
Artichokes are just starting to come back into season - perfect for meat free Mondays. Janet Grech makes a delicious steamed artichoke in a traditional style, though she adds porcini mushrooms for a great twist.
- 4 artichokes, middle cleaned, washed and ½-inch tip removed
- 2 stalks fresh garlic, chopped
- 200g mushrooms, porcini or button
- 100g black olives, chopped finely
- 2 slices stale bread, pulsed into breadcrumbs
- Fresh oregano, crushed
- Fresh thyme, crushed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic
- Salt and pepper
This recipe first appeared on Gourmet Today, March, 2016.
- Place all of the ingredients for the stuffing into a food processor and process into a paste.
- Fill a heavy-based pot with one cup of water and 3 tbsp of olive oil.
- Stuff each artichoke and place in the pot, adding any remaining stuffing to the liquid.
- Cover and cook on a low flame until the artichokes are tender (approx. 30 mins).
- Serve with some sprinkled peeled green beans.