Fish cakes are a great way to get more seafood into your diet and makes eating fish fun for the kids. The Preca sisters use prawns and neonati to make two different kind of fish cakes.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp finely chopped
- 500g fresh prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup panko bread
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ½ tsp garlic salt
- Lemon zest
- 2 eggs
White bait fish cakes
- Heat 1 tsp vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in red onion. Cook and stir until tender.
- Place fresh prawns in a bowl, adding the bread, milk, seasoning, lemon zest, garlic and eggs and beat until they are the right consistency to form cakes. Form 6 4-inch cakes, and fry for approx. 7 -10 mins, turning once.
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- 500g white bait
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- Fresh herbs basil or mint
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
These recipes first appeared on Gourmet Today TV, aired on TVM on 18 March, 2017.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then mix in the milk.
- Season with salt pepper to taste.
- Add the flour slowly - the mixture should be thick and runny.
- In a colander, rinse the whitebait.
- Drain, and mix into the egg mixture until well combined, add the chopped onion and chopped garlic, fresh herbs.
- Heat a frying pan on medium-high heat, and once heated, add the olive oil.
- Drop in dessert-spoonfuls of the whitebait mixture, and cook until the pattie is set and starts to go golden on the underside.
- Turn, and cook on the other side until golden.
- Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.