Breivik refuses to tell trial of Malta ‘far-right’ mentor

Norwegian accused of mass murder refuses to tell court of English far-right mentor’s role in Utoya massacre.

Defiant: Anders Behring Breivik makes a far-right salute as he appears before a Norwegian court on his first day of trial for the murder of 69 people last year
Defiant: Anders Behring Breivik makes a far-right salute as he appears before a Norwegian court on his first day of trial for the murder of 69 people last year

Anders Behring Breivik this morning refused to answer questions before a Norwegian court on whether he had an "English mentor" called "Richard" who resides in Malta.

Facing his third day of trial for mass murder and terrorism, the court was shown Breivik's statement to the police from July in which he described three men he met in London as part of an alleged "inaugural meeting" of the Knights Templar, including the so-called mentor - as "some of the most brilliant political and military tacticians" in Europe.

Breivik claimed, the three came up with a "detailed long term plan on how to seize power in Western Europe".

Breivik - who appeared agitated - refused to comment when pressed by the prosecution.

He was warned by the judge that his failure to answer questions might be used against him.

"It is not in my interest to shed light on details that could lead to arrests," he said.

Prosecutors have said they believe Breivik's "Knights Templar" group does not exist "in the way he describes it."

Breivik insists it does, and said police just had not done a good enough job in uncovering it.

Malta-resident Paul Ray, the British far-right activist, is widely considered to be the unnamed "mentor" mentioned by Breivik in his police statement and 1,500-page manifesto he posted online shortly before carrying out the attack.

Ray, a former member of the English Defence League, ran a "Richard the Lionhearted" blog and has admitted he recognised himself in Breivik's description. He has categorically denied however acting as a mentor to Breivik and said he has never met him.

He travelled to Norway last August to voluntarily submit himself to police investigating the attack.

The issue is of key importance in determining Breivik's sanity, and whether he is sent to prison or compulsory psychiatric care for the bomb-and-shooting massacre that shocked Norway on July 22.

Breivik claims to have carried out the attacks on behalf of the organisation, which he describes as a militant nationalist group fighting a Muslim colonisation of Europe.

Last July, MaltaToday revealed that Paul Ray played host in Malta to former Ulster Freedom Fighter (UFF) Brigadier Johnny 'Mad Dog' Adair and convicted terrorist and ex-neo Nazi Nick Greger.

Johnny 'Mad Dog' Adair is seen with Nick Gregor aka 'Nazi Nik' being greeted at Malta International Airport on a YouTube video posted by Gregor. The film also shows the three visiting different sites around Malta, while edits show the three men in their past violent lives.

Anti-fascist organization Searchlight said the ex-UFF chief has been in talks with a notorious fascist pal over plans to seize control of the English DefenceLeague (EDL).

It was reported that 'Mad Dog' Adair is being lined up by his old Neo-Nazi mate 'Mad Nick' Greger as one of the new leaders of the far-right group.

Adair struck up a bizarre friendship with convicted Nazi leader Greger in the mid- Nineties when he was banged up for directing terrorism.

Tattooed skinhead Greger idolised Mad Dog and on his release made him the boss of a Neo-Nazi cult in Germany.

Norwegian Prosecutor Inga Bejer Engh confronted the 33-year-old Norwegian about details on the group, its members and its meetings. Breivik claimed to have met a Serb "war hero" living in exile during a trip to Liberia in 2001, but he refused to identify him.

Breivik admits he set off a bomb outside the government headquarters in Oslo, killing eight, then drove to Utoya island outside the capital and massacred 69 people in a shooting spree at the governing Labor Party's youth summer camp on Utoya island.

Yesterday Breivik boasted that it was the most "spectacular" attack by a nationalist militant since World War II.

He said his victims - mostly teenagers - were not innocent but legitimate targets because they were representatives of a "multiculturalist" regime he claims is deconstructing Norway's national identity by allowing immigration.

 

 

More in National

Get access to the real stories first with the digital edition

Subscribe