Italy issues Malta-Sicily interconnector permit
Changes in cable route after original plan saw cable passing through Italy oil exploration territory.
29 March 2013, 12:00am
Rome has issued the Malta-Sicily interconnector permit after a problem with regard to the cable route has now been resolved.
In a statement, Energy Minister Konrad Mizzi said that the original route saw the cable passing through the oil exploration territory of an Italian company.
Mizzi said the Labour government had never been aware of this problem because it had never been made public by the previous administration.
"We worked hard to resolve this problem in the national interest and the government was readily available to collaborate with the Italian authorities and Italy's government to resolve this problem," Mizzi said.
The problem was resolved after changes were carried out to cable route.
The permit was issued on Thursday and includes the authorisation of interconnector connection at the Marina di Ragusa. It covers the authorisation to place 20km-long cables beneath the roads leading to Ragusa's Terna Substation.
Permit conditions include some which must be met before works start in Italy. These are expected to be addressed by the Enemalta Corporation and Terna by May.
Italy's authorisation also refers to the agreement reached between Enemalta, Ragusa and the Ragusa council earlier this year. Malta must pay Ragusa €500,000 in environmental compensation while the Ragusa council must receive €600,000.
Miriam Dalli graduated in communications studies from the University of ...
enter to win
Stakes are high: crunch time on Egrant
[WATCH] Joseph Muscat: ‘I swear in God’s name that I will keep telling the truth’
Caruana Galizia claims to have both whistleblower and documents, won’t cooperate with inquiry
Updated | Caruana Galizia refuses to testify at magisterial inquiry on Egrant allegations
[WATCH] Party faithful rally behind Muscat couple amid Egrant allegations