Hunters want general public banned from Mizieb woodland

Hunting federation FKNK calls for general public to be banned from Mizieb woodland in the wake of vandalism to hunters' hides 

tim_diacono
Tim Diacono
24 December 2016, 4:02pm
Hunters' hides in Mizieb are being vandalized, the FKNK has warned
Hunters' hides in Mizieb are being vandalized, the FKNK has warned
The hunters’ federation (FKNK) has urged the authorities to seal off public access to the Mizieb woodland.

Stretching some two kilometres across St Paul’s Bay, Mellieha and Manikata, Mizieb is one of the largest wooded areas in Malta. It is public land but overseen by the FKNK, and debate had erupted during last year’s spring hunting referendum over whether it is a legal hunting reserve.

In a statement, the FKNK published two photos of damaged hunter’s hides, that it said were vandalized on Friday night.

“This isn’t the first such act of vandalism in Mizieb,” FKNK secretary general Daniel Xriha said. “The time has come for the authorities to consider closing it off to the general public by restricting activities such as picnics, walks, cycling and re-enactments, just as they are banned in other reserves.”