Keeping up bingeing tradition: Maltese teens tend to drink more than Europeans

The European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction’s annual report on Malta finds that fewer people are using heroin, while the number of cocaine users continues to rise

yannick_pace
Yannick Pace
12 June 2017, 3:08pm
Drink up: Maltese teenagers more prone to binge drinking than Europeans
Drink up: Maltese teenagers more prone to binge drinking than Europeans
Teenagers in Malta, aged 15 and 16, are more likely to drink alcohol and to engage in heavy episodic drinking than similarly aged students in other European countries, according to the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA).

While the figures for drinking are significantly higher, the report also notes that Maltese students tend to smoke less than the average. Similarly, the use of Cannabis was found to be on average lower than other European countries.

(source: EMCDDA Malta country report)
(source: EMCDDA Malta country report)
Among the other observations in the EMCDDA country report on Malta, was the declining popularity of heroin. In fact, the number of people seeking treatment for heroin addiction for the first time was 66 in 2015, down from roughly 225 in 2006.

On the other hand, first-time entrants for treatment of cocaine addiction in 2015 was 91, up from 40 in 2006.

In both cases, roughly 20% of those receiving treatment were female, with men accounting for the remaining 80%.

The price of cocaine in 2015 was found to be between €18-80 per gram. Heroin cost €60 to €78/g, while a gram of cannabis could be purchased for anything between €10 and €28. 

(source: EMCDDA Malta country report)
(source: EMCDDA Malta country report)
Of the total amount, of drugs seized in 2015, Cannabis was the most common at 70Kg. It was followed by cocaine (21kg) and herbal cannabis (4kg) and heroin (4kg). Less than one kilo of MDMA, Methamphetamine and amphetamine were seized in 2015.

yannick_pace
Yannick joined MaltaToday as a journalist in 2016. His main areas of interest are politics...