Spanish police foil second attack after 13 killed in Barcelona

Spanish police say they have killed five suspected terrorists in the town of Cambrils to stop a vehicle attack, after an earlier one in Barcelona

18 August 2017, 8:04am
The suspected van is towed away from the area where it crashed into pedestrians at Las Ramblas in Barcelona, Spain
The suspected van is towed away from the area where it crashed into pedestrians at Las Ramblas in Barcelona, Spain
Spain mounted a sweeping anti-terror operation on Friday after a terrorist drove a van into crowds in the Las Ramblas area of Barcelona, killing 13 people before fleeing, in what police suspect was one of multiple planned attacks.

The death toll could rise, with more than 100 injured, authorities said.

As security forces hunted for the van's driver, who was seen escaping on foot, police said they had killed five attackers on Thursday night in Cambrils, a town south of Barcelona, to thwart a separate attack using explosive belts.

Six civilians and a police officer were injured in Cambrils when the attackers, wearing explosive belts, ran them over in a car, before police shot them dead s. Police said the Cambrils incident was linked to the van attack in Barcelona.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the deadly rampage.

The authorities are now also linking the attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils with an explosion at a house on Wednesday evening in the town of Alcanar that left one person dead.

Police said they had arrested two men, a Moroccan and a man from Spain's north African enclave of Melilla, though neither was the van driver. They added that the situation in Cambrils was under control.

It was still not clear how many people had been involved in the van attack and other incidents on Thursday.

Spain's PM Mariano Rajoy has announced three days of national mourning and a minute's silence will be held later on Friday.