Anti-corruption watchdog issues Sammut report, after MaltaToday FOI request
Permanent Commission Against Corruption to investigate after MaltaToday files Freedom of Information request.
The Permanent Commission Against Corruption has published reports of its investigations carried out on former MOBC chief executive Frank Sammut, less than 24 hours after MaltaToday filed a Freedom of Information request with the Commission.
Earlier on Tuesday, the same commission refused to divulge its reports to MaltaToday, citing confidentiality laws.
The PCC said the investigations on Sammut were carried out in 1993 in connection with the purchase of oil, by former judge Victor Borg Costanzi, which investigation found no evidence to back the allegations against Sammut. The PCC said the report was tabled in parliament by justice minister Joe Fenech in 1994.
In 1999, two investigations in connection with MOBC tenders were carried out by former judge Albert Manché, which also found the allegations reported to have been "unfounded". The two reports were tabled in the House by justice minister Austn Gatt in 1999.
The 1993 report concerns an anonymous letter which alleged that Sammut was recieving monies from a Swiss firm Tempo, which was also supplying oil to Enemalta. At the time, Sammut was a consultant to Enemalta and sat on the fuel procurement board. He was appointed to the position by minister Ninu Zammit.
The PCC says in its conclusions that it was not able to establish whether any wrongdoing had taken place, and that it was not the Commission's remit to suggest changes in the way Enemalta tendering worked.
The seven-page report that was published does not include the transcripts of the people interviewed.
The 1999 reports dealt with corruption allegations made by Salvu Zammit & Sons Ltd and Bastjan Borg, on the procurement of fuel for the Gozo Channel company.
