Allegations of medical visas racket: police find ‘no evidence’ of criminal behaviour

Police conclude investigations in alleged medical visas racket: ‘no evidence of criminal behaviour’

Neville Gafa has denied the allegations
Neville Gafa has denied the allegations

A health ministry employee, accused by a Libyan whistleblower of allegedly masterminding a racket involving medical visas, will not be arraigned in court after police failed to find any evidence that proves criminal behaviour, the Malta Police Force has confirmed.

Neville Gafa, who according to the Malta Independent would have allegedly netted up to €150,000 a month from issuing medical visas to Libyans, has suspended himself from his duties pending police investigations.

In a right of reply, Gafa denied the allegations levelled against him and said that he had “personally asked the police and the Health Ministry to investigate the allegations”.

The investigations, the Police has now confirmed, were concluded in the past days and, based on evidence so far, Gafa was not involved in any criminal behaviour.

“The Opposition leader has built on the Malta Independent on Sunday story to allege corruption. The allegations on the Malta Independent on Sunday, and subsequently repeated by the Opposition leader for partisan gain, are nothing short of invention,” Gafa said on Monday. “I will be seeking legal advice to safeguard my reputation while hoping that the Police investigations are concluded swiftly.”

The allegations were raised by Libyan national Khaled Ben Nasan, a businessmen who last year set up an import-export company called Aurum Tribus. In a letter to the Ministry for Health last April, Ben Nasan alleged that Gafa had started a new medical visa application process through which Libyans would send over their passports in advance and Gafa would charge varying prices.

More in National