Consumers' watchdog issues warning over Christmas lights

Two Christmas lights products have been deemed unsafe due to the risk of electric shock

These Christmas lights are dangerous and must be returned to the point of sale, the consumers' watchdog says
These Christmas lights are dangerous and must be returned to the point of sale, the consumers' watchdog says

The Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority (MCCAA) has issued a warning to consumers over two sets of Christmas lights as they pose the risk of electric shock. 

Following a series of tests conducted by the MCCAA on various lighting chains found on the Maltese market, two products have been flagged. 

Due to the poor construction and susceptibility to breaking down, the chains have been deemed unsafe, as parts carrying electrical current are easily exposed. 

If touched by a child or unwary adult, such parts could electrocute and kill. 

The MCCAA has ordered operators to remove the products from the market, and warned that if these products are not removed, action would be taken. 

The authority has also warned customers to refrain from using such products, and recommended that they be returned back to their point of sale. 

More in National