Malta replies to Sea-Watch 3 but it offers no support, NGO says

Sea-Watch 3 claimed that it's been approached by a Libyan patrol boat which ordered the migrant rescue vessel to leave the area immediately following their rescue of 65 migrants of the Libyan coast

The Dutch NGO claimed that a Libyan patrol boat approached the rescue vessel and ordered it to leave the area with the 65 migrants they rescued immediately
The Dutch NGO claimed that a Libyan patrol boat approached the rescue vessel and ordered it to leave the area with the 65 migrants they rescued immediately

Sea-Watch International has said that after rescuing 65 migrants off the Libyan coast yesterday, it had requested support from a number of country's, including Malta, but had been offered no support or indications on a port of safety. 

Among the migrants rescued on Wednesday were 11 women, two babies, five children and eight unaccompanied minors.

"Once again, we are alone," the crew wrote on Twitter as replies it received from Netherlands (the NGO's flag state), Malta and Italy did not indicate whether they would support the ship or offer a port of safety. At present, Sea-Watch 3 remains stranded in Mediterranean waters. 

Messages sent to the Libyan authorities went unanswered except in the form of a Libyan patrol boat that approached the NGO ship at dawn on Thursday and ordered it to leave the area. 

Sea-Watch has reported that the 65 migrants, though exhausted, are "ok, but crammed in a little space, awaiting instructions."

"It´s the time for the EU to show it´s ability to act and for the closest safe port to open!" it tweeted.

More in National