Medirect Group Cup : Falcons win the last game of 2017 over Kavallieri

In their last match for this year, Falcons managed to beat Kavallieri 29-15.

Photo: Zara Ameen
Photo: Zara Ameen

By Bryan Corlett

It was a first meeting this season for these two teams playing in the Medirect Group Cup competition. The wind was blowing down the ground as Kavallieri kicked off the first half, but failed to use it to their advantage. They tried to bash it up through the forwards, but after a couple of phases Falcons would get turnover ball and run it back at them to score wide out, scoring three tries in that first half to take a comfortable lead at half time. Kavallieri on a few occasions managed to get into the Falcons 22 but poor passing and handling wouldn’t allow them to keep the pressure on Falcons. Ryan Borg(13) scored Falcon’s first try running wide down the touchline and back in under the posts to make Julian Galea’s(9) conversion much easier to make the score 7 to 0. The Falcon’s forwards led by Vince Farrugia(8) and Daniel Holliday(2) were charging into the Kavallieri defensive wall, allowing their backs more space to run. Straight from the kick off from the first try, Liam Scicluna(4) ran hard into Kavallieri territory and offloaded for Gabriel Scicluna(2) to score out wide. Kavallieri were trying to get into the game, but their tactics of quick taps from penalties instead of long kicks with the wind to gain territory, was a poor option and forced their forwards into having to work hard for little reward. Julian Galea(9) was directing traffic left and right forcing the Kavallieri defence to scramble to keep up with his speed of play, he initiated the next try going down the blindside, offloading to Holliday(2), then on to Gabriel Scicluna(2) and finally into the hands of the speeding Aaron Borg (12) who scored in the corner to make it 17 to nil on the scoreboard. Liam Scicluna(4) was yellow carded for 10 minutes for a second high tackle, with the added frustration of seeing his opposite number score Kavallieri’s next try. Kavallieri had worked their way into the Falcon’s half with a penalty into the corner, a few pick and bashes with the forwards, for then Andreii Lungo(4) to score near the posts, Dalton’s conversion swung away. Holliday(2) scored his team’s final try before halftime, finishing off a period of pressure on the Kavallieri tryline by his forwards. Making it Falcons 22, Kavallieri 5 as Referee Sean Doublesin blew his whistle for the break. Immediately from the Falcon’s kick off to the second half, with Falcons now playing with the wind, Aaron Borg(12) scored his second try with a fine solo weaving run, which Bjorn Micallef(15) converted to make the score 29 to 5. Falcons lost their two playmakers to injury Julian Galea(9) and Ryan Borg(13), Micallef(15) dropped into scrumhalf and Andrew Vella(19) at flyhalf. The game lost its momentum for a time, as reserves came on and also play was stopped for the injuries, not allowing any flow or continuity. After a long kick into the corner from a penalty then from a catch and drive from the lineout near the Falcon’s tryline, Kavallieri kept up the pressure, went through several phases for finally Hincu(2) to score out wide, giving his team a boost of confidence and belief, taking the score to Falcons 29, Kavallieri 10. Branton Bonello(5) a player who plays a hard, direct game of Rugby scored his team’s final try bashing his way through the Falcon’s forwards to score an unconverted try to make the final score Falcons 29, Kavallieri 15.

Men of the Match: Falcons: Liam Scicluna. Kavallieri: Andreii Longo(4)

Referee: Sean Doublesin

Assistant Referees: Steve Busutil & Joseph Cutajar.