MaltaToday, 02 April 2008 | Alfred Grixti throws hat in the ring to face Micallef

NEWS | Wednesday, 02 April 2008

Alfred Grixti throws hat in the ring to face Micallef

Julia Farrugia

Labour secretary-general Jason Micallef is to face a contender for the post of secretary-general, MaltaToday Midweek can reveal.
Alfred Grixti, currently the editorial consultant of Labour’s online newspaper maltastar.com, will be challenging Micallef in the ensuing contest for the top positions in the Labour party.
Following Alfred Sant’s resignation as Labour leader after the electoral loss in March, Labour’s leadership race already has three contenders, but Jason Micallef will now be facing at least one contender to his post.
Grixti confirmed with MaltaToday Midweek that he will be contesting the elections set in the coming months at a date, which still needs to be established by the MLP national executive.
“Yes, I confirm that in the past weeks I’ve been approached by many delegates. I have given it the necessary thought and I’m determined to go for it,” Grixti said when contacted yesterday by this paper.
“I’m pledging to put forward a politics of substance,” Grixti, also the newly elected Zebbug deputy mayor, said.
“I sincerely believe that the team and role of secretary-general is equally important as that of the leadership itself. If the Labour Party does not have a secretary-general who is up to the job, we won’t ever make it,” Grixti said, clearly implying that Micallef’s time was up after Labour’s defeat.
“Alfred Sant was a man up to his job. Whilst Lawrence Gonzi had Joe Saliba behind him, Alfred Sant did not have a person of the same calibre,” Grixti claimed.
With this new development, Jason Micallef needs to secure his votes tightly amongst baffled Labour delegates who questioned the role Micallef played in the electoral campaign.
Others like Labour education secretary Wenzu Mintoff, and leadership contender and MP Evarist Bartolo, have called for Micallef to assume responsibility for the electoral loss. Bartolo went as far as calling for the five top positions, which include Labour’s deputy leaders Charles Mangion and Michael Falzon, Micallef and party president Stefan Zrinzo Azzopardi, to assume responsibility.
Way back in 2003, both Micallef and Grixti contested the elections for the post of secretary-general after Jimmy Magro’s decision not to stand for his re-election after the 2003 electoral defeat. There were seven contenders for this seat, with Jason Micallef winning the election with only 19 votes separating him from Alfred Grixti.
Grixti, a headmaster by profession, has been actively involved in the party for the past 27 years. He is a member of the Labour’s national executive and secretary of the Labour’s Zebbug local committee.
Asked by this paper about his views about the current MLP leadership bid, Alfred Grixti answered that it would be incorrect to express his feelings in public.
“I want to make it clear that I won’t be participating in any of the leader contenders’ campaigns. I will be following closely what the three leader candidates will be saying. If there will be more, I will do the same. I will keep my choice to myself probably till the very end,” Grixti said.
“I’ve worked closely with Joseph Muscat at maltastar.com. I had a close relationship too with Michael Falzon both on an administration level and during the electoral process. I never had the opportunity to work this closely with Evarist Bartolo but with his journalistic input, I know what he is worth.”

jfarrugia@mediatoday.com.mt

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

MaltaToday News
02 April 2008

NATO to discuss Malta’s PfP on Friday

Moviment Graffitti against Partnership for Peace

Police in hunting accident acquitted of involuntary homicide

Malta ‘out of time’ on spring hunting

BirdLife’s hopes its Spring Watch will be hunter-free

Breaking the neutrality taboo

Robert Pinker for lecture on media ethics

Lidl Malta’s debut marred by German spying uproar

Record revenues for Grand Harbour Marina

New boathouse sprouts under Valletta bastions

Air Malta flies to new Schengen terminals

Zminijietna against China Olympic boycott

Malta-US double tax agreement in force after years of negotiations

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email