MaltaToday, 02 April 2008 | Abela determined ‘to push ahead’ with nomination

NEWS | Wednesday, 02 April 2008

Abela determined ‘to push ahead’ with nomination

Karl Schembri

George Abela is determined to push forward his name in the Labour leadership race and is said to be a few days away from announcing his final decision publicly.
Speaking to MaltaToday Midweek yesterday, Abela said he was “still sounding the ground” but added he was determined to move ahead with his nomination despite the uphill climb to get back into the party.
“I’m meeting lots of people who want the party to open up and represent them,” the lawyer and former party deputy leader said. “The people in the street want the delegates to reflect their wishes, to open the election to all members and get the rank and file to participate in this important decision. I’m very much encouraged by the support I’m getting and I intend to go on.”

Abela had expressed his clear objection to Sant’s decision to call an early election in the summer of 1998. Since then he has been largely out of the party although he has been named repeatedly as a possible contender from as early as the 2003 leadership race.
Yet he faces a gargantuan task of convincing the party to open up the election to all members, rather than just the 900-strong delegates.
“I will keep working to have an open and transparent process,” he reiterated yesterday. “I want members to vote, and nobody can say this would be to my advantage because we would be contesting on a level playing field. The time is ripe to give a direct voice to the Labour members. The party members agree with this 100%.”
The three other confirmed contenders so far are Michael Falzon, Evarist Bartolo and Joseph Muscat.
“If you analyse what they said, they are saying they would contest under any regulations, but they’re not saying they support the proposal to open the vote to members,” Abela said.
“Which means to me they really want to leave the system as it is, with those on the inside dictating everything to those on the outside. What are they afraid of? I’m not afraid of the delegates because I want them to vote together with the members.”
Ironically, Abela spoke of the power of the incumbents in the party – a criticism used by Sant against the government after the electoral defeat – whose manoeuvrings work against his candidature and that of others.
“The party machinery is not fair; it’s a pseudo-race that gives an unfair advantage to those who are already in power,” Abela said. “All I want is a fair and transparent race.”
Meanwhile Anglu Farrugia yesterday said he was sure he would submit his name for election but was undecided if it would be for leader or deputy leader.
“I’m definitely going to contest but I’m not yet decided whether it will be for leader or for deputy leader for party affairs,” he said.
Maire Louise Coleiro Preca was even more noncommittal in her reply: “Either way, I’ll probably announce my decision later this week.”

kschembri@mediatoday.com.mt

Any comments?
If you wish your comments to be published in our Letters pages please click button below.
Please write a contact number and a postal address where you may be contacted.

Search:

MALTATODAY
BUSINESSTODAY

MaltaToday News
02 April 2008

NATO to discuss Malta’s PfP on Friday

Moviment Graffitti against Partnership for Peace

Police in hunting accident acquitted of involuntary homicide

Malta ‘out of time’ on spring hunting

BirdLife’s hopes its Spring Watch will be hunter-free

Breaking the neutrality taboo

Robert Pinker for lecture on media ethics

Lidl Malta’s debut marred by German spying uproar

Record revenues for Grand Harbour Marina

New boathouse sprouts under Valletta bastions

Air Malta flies to new Schengen terminals

Zminijietna against China Olympic boycott

Malta-US double tax agreement in force after years of negotiations

Copyright © MediaToday Co. Ltd, Vjal ir-Rihan, San Gwann SGN 9016, Malta, Europe
Managing editor Saviour Balzan | Tel. ++356 21382741 | Fax: ++356 21385075 | Email