Super Cup | Sliema Wanderers 1 – Valletta 2

Valletta won their eleventh Super Cup after earning a 2-1 victory over Sliema Wanderers.

Valletta's players and technical staff celebrating their triumph over Sliema Wanderers. Photo: Dominic Borg
Valletta's players and technical staff celebrating their triumph over Sliema Wanderers. Photo: Dominic Borg

Sliema took the initiative in the early stages of the match and had a goal disallowed after just two minutes. From a free kick, the ball was delivered inside the penalty area towards Denni Dos Santos who headed past Dziugas Barktus. However, the referee whistled for a free kick as the Sliema player fouled Ryan Camilleri.

Valletta responded on the 10th minute. Claudio Pani hit a low shot from distance that sailed wide of the post.

The Wanderers kept putting pressure and went ahead on the 20th minute. Dos Santos managed to put Jean Paul Farrugia through on goal and the latter went inside the penalty area before firing a shot that ended up inside the net.

Valletta equalised on the 34th minute. From a corner, Jhonnattann Benitez Da Conceicao sent a cross in the direction of Steve Borg and the Valletta defender hit a low shot that gave Glenn Zammit no chance.

The Citizens had another opportunity on goal two minutes later. Lwelyn Cremona served Jhonnattann who went on a good run and hit a strong shot that was blocked by Peter Xuereb for a corner.

Jhonnattann went close again on the 40th minute. The Brazilian received from Michael Mifsud and fired a volley from the edge of the penalty area that went slightly wide.

Sliema responded two minutes later through Farrugia. The striker went round a defender and sent a shot that was neutralised by Barktus.

Valletta went ahead for the first time in the match on the 45th minute. Following a good run down the left flank, Jhonnattann delivered the ball towards Umeh Uchenna Calistus who slotted the ball behind Zammit.

The Wanderers had a golden opportunity to equalise on the 62nd minute. Borg brought down Farrugia inside the penalty area and the referee pointed towards the spot. From the resulting spot kick, Alex Muscat saw his shot being saved by Barktus. This was the second consecutive penalty which the Valletta goalkeeper managed to save after denying Nicolas Chiesa of Floriana on Saturday.

Mifsud went close to increase the margin of the score for Valletta on the 68th minute. The veteran striker went on the right flank and sent a cross shot that hit the upright.

On the 82nd minute, Zammit was on the alert to deny Valletta. Valdo Concalves Alinho fired a shot from the edge of the penalty area which was parried by the Sliema goalkeeper.

In the first minute of the additional time given by the referee, Roger De Souza Vilas Boas attempted his luck from distance, but his shot was well saved by Barktus.

On the 95th minute, Jhonnattann had another great opportunity for Valletta. The twenty-seven year old went inside the penalty area and sent a shot that was parried by Zammit. Rebound fell for Luke Montebello whose shot was blocked by a defender.

Sliema Wanderers starting line-up: Glenn Zammit, Alex Muscat, Armando Vieira dos Santos Tarlazis, Peter Xuereb, Mark Scerri, Roger de Souza Villas Boas, Stefano Bianciardi, John Mintoff, Jean Paul Farrugia, Wisdom Salomon, Denni Rocha dos Santos.

Valletta starting line-up: Dziugas Bartkus, Jonathan Caruana, Steve Borg, Ryan Camilleri, Michael Mifsud, Llywelyn Cremona, Claudio Pani, Uchenna Calistus Umeh, Leandro Aguirre, Jhonnattann Benites da Conceicao, Valdo Goncalves Alhinho.

Referee: Malcolm Spiteri

Assistant referees: William Debattista, Alan Camilleri

Additional assistant referees: Glen Tonna, Paul Apap

Fourth official: Peter Abela

More in Football

Get access to the real stories first with the digital edition