FA Trophy | Sliema Wanderers 0 – Senglea 0

In a hard fought match with lot of controversial episodes, Sliema Wanderers registered a 3-2 shoot-out win over Senglea.

Beppe Muscat of Senglea in action. Photo: Christine Borg
Beppe Muscat of Senglea in action. Photo: Christine Borg

Sliema created the first attempt on gaol after five minutes. From a corner, Stefano Biancardi headed slightly over.

Senglea responded on the 14th minute. Kane Farrugia sent a shot from distance that sailed well wide of the desired target.

On the 22nd minute, Ricardo Calixto Correa Duate of Sliema sent an inviting cross from a free kick but none of his team-mates managed to get onto the end of it.

Two minutes later, Senglea nearly went ahead. Austin Obaje-Smith went inside the penalty area, turned round a defender, and hit a low shot that went centimetres wide of the post.

On the 27th minute, Jean Paul Farrugia of Sliema sent a cross that found Mark Scerri whose header went high.

The Wanderers nearly broke the deadlock on the 29th minute. Following a corner, Bianciardi served Jonathan Pearson and the latter sent a strong header that hit the upright.

On the 32nd minute, Senglea’s players and supporters protested heavily for a penalty when Obaje – Smith went inside Sliema’s penalty area and was brought down. However, the referee was not interested in protests and sanctioned the Senglea forward for dissent.

Sliema suffered a setback on the 36th minute after Jean Paul Farrugia was shown a straight red card following a foul on Pablo Doffo.

Having an extra man, Senglea tried to push hard and had a good chance on the 50th minute. Juninho Cabral sent a shot from the edge of the penalty that was neutralised by Guisepper Sarao.

Three minutes later, Senglea tried again when Marcelo De Sousa Dias saw his effort from distance going wide.

On the 65th minute, Cabral fired another shot from a free kick, but Sarao managed to save without any difficulty.

Five minutes later, Sarao was on the alert once more to deny Senglea. Kane Farrugia sent Obaje-Smith through on the right side of the penalty area and the latter hit a low shot which was parried for a corner by Sarao. From the resulting corner, Ryan Dalli saw his header going over.

Sliema protested for a penalty on the 83rd minute. Frank Temille went inside the penalty area and sent a cross which Keith Tanti blocked with his hand.

A minute later, Gabriel Aquilina of Sliema sent a strong shot from outside the penalty area which was deviated by a Senglea defender before going out for a corner.

The game went into extra time and on the 91st minute, Jonathan Martinelli cleared the ball in the direction of Denni Dos Santos, but made up for his mistake by saving the latter’s effort.

Sliema tried to put more pressure in the extra time and had another attempt on the 99th minute. Correa Duate won possession inside the penalty area and fired a shot that sailed slightly wide of the post.

Senglea responded a minute later through Beppe Muscat whose shot from distance went marginally high.

On the 105th minute, Sliema were close once more. Alex Muscat sent a cross in the direction of Denni who fired high.

In the last attempt of the first period in extra time, Doffo sent a shot from a free kick which Sarao tipped behind.

In the second period of extra time, neither team managed to have any decent attempts on goal as the game went into a penalty shoot-out.

During the penalty soot-out, Wisdom Salomon was shown a red card exactly after converting his penalty. The Sliema player made obscene gestures towards the Senglea supporters.

Finally, after a lot of drama, the Wanderers were confirmed as the first team to play in the semi-final. Doffo and Cabral scored for Senglea, while Denni, Salomon and Alex Muscat scored for Sliema.

Sliema Wanderers starting line-up: Guiseppe Sarao, Ryan Spiteri, Stefano Biancardi, Mark Scerri, Jonathan Pearson, Leandro Incorvaja, Alex Muscat, Frank Temille, Jean Paul Farrugia, Ricardo Calixto Correa Duate, Denni Dos Santos

Senglea starting line-up: Jonathan Martinelli, Keith Tanti, Kane Farrugia, Mark Borg, Jurgen Farrugia, Pablo Doffo, Beppe Muscat, Juninho Cabral, Marcel De Sousa Dias, Austin Obaje Smith, Terence Vella

Referee: Matthew Degabriele

Assistant referees: Luke Portelli, Sammy Attard

Fourth Official: Fyodor Zammit

More in Football

Get access to the real stories first with the digital edition