Inquiry finds no evidence to support allegations of irregularities at MCAST

The inquiry was ordered by the Education Ministry following allegations of sexual misconduct at the college and has now been passed on to the police

The inquiry has been concluded and passed on to the police
The inquiry has been concluded and passed on to the police

An inquiry into claims of “operational and administrative” irregularities at the Malta College for Arts, Science and Technology (MCAST) has been concluded and passed on to the police, the Education Ministry said.

The inquiry was order by the mininstry last July, following allegations of sexual misconduct at the college, and the reports had been passed on to the police to be investigated.

In a statement on Thursday, the Education Ministry said that the inquiry had been concluded that that there was “no evidence to substantiate a number of allegations made by MCAST officials about individuals in the college administration”. The board of inquiry recommended that the report be passed on to the police “immediately”.

The ministry said it had passed on the entire report to the president of the MCAST board of governors. “The board of inquiry shed light on a number of administrative and operational shortcomings which have occurred over the years under different administrations.”

“The ministry has requested that MCAST analyse the relevant parts of the report and take the necessary measures,” read the statement, adding that it had drawn the college’s attention to Manual for Public Sector Entities. A number of recommendations were also made by the ministry.

Given that the report had been passed on to the police, the ministry said that it had been advised not to publish the inquiry report and limit iself to publishing the conclusions.

The ministry said it would continue to collaborate with MCAST and all authorities concerned.

More in National