BOV Premier League | Gżira United 1 – Senglea Athletic 1

Gżira United lost two important points as they were held in a 1-1 draw by Senglea Athletic.

Photo: Dominic Borg
Photo: Dominic Borg

The Maroons threatened on the 20th minute. Roderick Briffa fired a powerful shot that forced a good save from Giulio Centrangolo.

Centrangolo was on the alert once more on the 38th minute as he managed to Block Sacha Borg’s effort.

Gżira kept insisting and their efforts paid off three minutes into the second half. Amadou Samb delivered the ball towards the unmarked Emmanuel Okoye who headed the ball inside the net.

Senglea hit back through Gonzalo Virano. The Argentine player sent a shot that was neutralised by Justin Haber.

Darren Abdilla’s side had a glorious opportunity to seal the issue on the 68th minute. Samb was brought down inside the penalty area by Randall Vella and referee pointed towards the spot. However, the same player saw his shot from the eleven metres mark being saved by Senglea’s shot stopper.

This episode filled Senglea with hope and nearly equalised on the 77th minute. From a free-kick, Miguel Escobar sent the ball in the direction of Sergio Uyi whose effort hit the post.

Senglea never gave up and equalised in the additional time given by the referee. Antonio Terractiano was fouled Clifford Gatt Baldacchino and the referee signalled the second penalty of the match. Terrence Vella took charge of the penalty kick and placed the ball inside the net to grab an important point for Steve D’Amato’s side.

Gżira United starting line-up: Justin Haber, Gary Muir, Clifford Gatt Baldacchino, Sem Ogolong Kamana, Sacha Borg, Moises Avila Perez, Roderick Briffa, Andrew Cohen, Juan Corbalan, Emmanuel Okoye, Amadou Samb

Senglea Athletic starting line-up: Giulio Centrangolo, Randall Vella, Jurgen Farrugia, Antonio Terracciano, Sergio Osagho, Gonzalo Virano, Hubert Vella, Gonzalo Leyton, Terrence Vella, Matias Garcia, Miguel Escobar

Referee: Trustin Farrugia Cann

Assistant Referees: Duncan Sultana, Ryan Aquilina

Fourth Official: Sandro Spiteri