BOV Premier League| Senglea Athletic 3 – Sliema Wanderers 0

Senglea Athletic secured their second win in a row after registering a comfortable 3-0 win over Sliema Wanderers.

Nicolae Milinceanu of Sliema in action. Photo: Christine Borg
Nicolae Milinceanu of Sliema in action. Photo: Christine Borg

Senglea finished the first round tenth with twelve points and were looking to make a positive start to the second round as they hope to secure their Premier League status as early as possible. On the other hand, the Wanderers were sixth with twenty-four points and were also looking for a positive result to keep the pace with the top teams. This scenario contributed to a hard fought match.

Sliema threatened first after just two minutes. Following a cross by Mark Scerri, Stefano Bianchardi headed the ball slightly over.

However, Senglea hit back and went ahead on the 8th minute. Terence Vella sent a cross shot from the right side of the penalty area that stunned Glenn Zammit and went inside the net.

On the 20th minute, Scerri of Sliema fired a shot from distance that sailed wide.

The Wanderers went close again on the 26th minute. Jefferson De Assis hit a shot from the left that took a deflection and went outside for a corner.

John Buttigieg’s side kept on insisting and had another chance on goal one minute from half time when Nicolae Milinceanu saw his shot being saved by Matthew Farrugia.

In his attempts to change the course of the game, Buttigieg replaced Ryan Spiteri with Ricardo Correa Duarte prior to the beginning of the second half.

However, Senglea kept going and doubled their advantage on the 48th minute. Nicola Palmieri served Peter Sammut on the left and the latter hit a low shot past Zammit.

Sliema nearly pulled one back on the 56th minute. Following a cross inside the penalty area, Milinceanu’s effort was cleared off the line by Jonathan Bondin.

On the hour mark, Matias Muchiardi fired a shot from a free-kick that was neutralised by Farrugia.

Desperate for a goal, Sliema kept putting pressure and were denied by Farrugia on the 72nd minute when Scerri saw his powerful drive being blocked by Senglea’s goalkeeper.

Despite Sliema’s efforts, Senglea remained calm and sealed the issue on the 75th minute. Bianciardi floored Peter Sammut inside the penalty area and the referee pointed towards the spot. Terence Vella took charge of the spot kick and placed the ball inside the net.

Eight minutes later, Senglea nearly scored again. Sammut received a through ball and hit a strong shot that was saved by Zammit.

In the remaining minutes, Senglea held firm to take home their second win in a row.

Sliema Wanderers starting line-up: Glenn Zammit, Ryan Spiteri (Ricardo Correa Duarte – 45), Goran Adamovic (Franci Qeros- 68), Stefano Bianchardi, Jefferson De Assis, Mark Scerri, John Mintoff, Matias Muchiardi, Edmond Agius, Jonathan Pearson, Nicolae Milinceanu

Senglea Athletic starting line-up: Matthew Farrugia, Randal Vella (Steve Bonnici – 82), Jonathan Bondin, Sergio Uyi, Julian Leyton, Matias Garzia (Mattia Del Negro – 85), Ivan Paz, Gonzalo Nicolas Virano, Terence Vella, Nicola Palmieri, Peter Sammut (Ryan Dalli – 88)

Referee: Trustin Farrugia Cann

Assistant Referees: Duncan Sultana, Disan Petrovic

Fourth Official: Darry Agius

Yellow Cards: Randal Vella (Senglea), Matias Garzia (Senglea), Nicola Palmieri (Senglea), Mark Scerri (Sliema), John Mintoff (Sliema), Jefferson De Assis (Sliema)

BOV Player of the Match: Terence Vella (Senglea)