Elderly couple injured in gas explosion at private residence

Explosion rocks private residence in Mqabba • Police says gas leak is source of explosion

An elderly couple was seriously injured following an explosion at their private residence in Mqabba.

The explosion, caused by a gas leak, was heard at around 4am in Triq it-Troll. Members of the police force and paramedics from Mater Dei Hospital who rushed to site found that an elderly couple were home at the time of the explosion.

The police confirmed that the man, 71, is in critical condition, while the woman, 77, suffered minor injuries.

Members of the Civil Protection Department were called to site to assist in the rescue operation.

A magisterial inquiry has been appointed; an investigation by the police is also underway.