Bonnici says statement should have been issued before

Justice Minister says unfortunate traffic incident should have been publicised to avoid any misunderstanding.

Owen Bonnici said the 'unfortunate' traffic incident resulted after a motorist stopped his car in a dangerous position outside the Santa Venera tunnels.
Owen Bonnici said the 'unfortunate' traffic incident resulted after a motorist stopped his car in a dangerous position outside the Santa Venera tunnels.
Owen Bonnici explains circumstances of traffic incident he was involved in.

Justice minister Owen Bonnici has conceded that a minor traffic incident in which he was involved, should have been made public by his own ministry.

Bonnici yesterday was forced to issue a statement on a traffic accident that led to the hospitalisation of a motorist, after Nationalist Party media claimed that police had not issued a regular statement on the accident.

“In retrospect I believe that I had to issue a statement earlier. But I didn’t issue the press release in good faith to respect the privacy of the person in question, as requested.”

The incident happened at around 9pm last Thursday, 3 March, when Bonnici was driving his personal car towards Marsa. Bonnici was driving round the bend just outside the Santa Venera tunnels when he crashed into a car that was stationary and located in a dangerous spot. Bonnici hit the stationary car, which in turn hit the driver who was standing outside his car.

Bonnici said that his primary concern was the man’s health. “I can confirm that after two days recovering in hospital, the person involved was discharged from hospital and is resting at home. I was always in contact with his relatives. His relatives asked for their privacy to be respected and that’s what I did.”

Late on Monday evening, Bonnici issued a statement after the PN media reported that he was involved in a traffic incident that led to the hospitalization of a motorist.

Bonnici issued a statement after maltarightnow.com reported that two men were injured during the incident. 
In actual fact, only one person was hospitalised.

Asked why no statement had been issued by the police’s communications office, Bonnici said he did not “interfere” with police procedures.

“Throughout this whole unfortunate incident, the normal police procedures were followed and I fully cooperated with the authorities. In fact, I will face normal court procedures in a traffic sitting,” Bonnici said.

The minister said that usually the police issue a statement when the person involved in a traffic accident is in a critical condition, although the police’s community and media relations unit (CMYR) issue a statement even when individuals have suffered minor injuries.

More in National