Europa League: Birkirkara set up clash with West Ham as Valletta and Balzan bow out

Birkirkara put in a perfect performance to eliminate Ulisses FC of Armenia and advance to the second round of the Europa League.

Fabrizio Miccoli
Fabrizio Miccoli

Birkirkara will now take on West Ham United after they defeated Lusitanos of Andorra on a 4-0 aggregate.

Birkirkara managed to take the lead on the 21st minute when Fabrizio Miccoli took advantage of bad clearance and easily found the back of the net with his shot.

Miccoli was unlucky not to make it two six minutes later when he was denied by the woodwork from a direct freekick.

Birkirara doubled their lead just before half time when off a freekick by Miccoli, Mauricio Mazzetti headed the ball in goal past goalkeeper Arsen Beglaryan.

Ulisses managed to reduce Birkirkara’s lead on the 71st minute when off a corner by Alekasanyan, Konstantin beat goalkeeper Ini Etim Akpan to make it 2-1.

On the 75th minute, Birkirkara’s Terence Vella was sent off.

Birkirkara made sure they would advance to the next round when Paul Fenech scored from the penalty spot on the 79th minute.

Ulisses also had a man sent off when their captain Aleksanyan was giving his marching orders after a late tackle on Camenzuli.

In other matches, Balzan were eliminated from the Europa League after they were defeated by FK Zeljeznicar.

FK Zeljeznicar advanced to the next round thanks to a 3-0 aggregate over Balzan.

Damir Sadikovic scored the only goal on the 68th minute.

Valletta were also eliminated from the Europa League after they were defeated by 2-1 by Newton AFC. Newton AFC advanced to the next round thanks to a 4-2 aggregate.

Newton immediately took the lead after just seven minutes of play. Off a cross from the right, Jason Oswell easy put the ball past goalkeeper Nicky Vella.

Valletta managed to get back into the match one minute into the second half. Off a cross by Jhonnattan, Thierry Fidjeu Tazameta beat goalkeeper David Edward Jones from close range.

Valletta’s chances to advance to a turn for the worse when they were reduced to ten men on the 75th minute after Ryan Camilleri was sent off for a rough tackle.

On the 83rd minute, Newton were awarded a penalty after Jason Oswell was brought down inside the area by Juan Cruz Grill. Valletta goalkeeper Nicky Vella neutralised Matthew Owen’s effort from the penalty spot.

The match was put out of reach for Valletta when Matthew Owen took advantage of bad clearance and beat goalkeeper Nicky Vella with his shot from just outside the area.

More in Football

Get access to the real stories first with the digital edition