Somali charged with double attempted murder placed under bill of indictment

Somali man stabbed Sudanese man after taking issue with him leaving early, court hears.

A Somali man charged with the attempted murder of two Sudanese men was today placed under a bill of indictment after a criminal court ruled that there is enough prima facie evidence.

The remark was made this afternoon during the compilation of evidence against 49-year-old Abdirahman Ahmed, who is pleading not guilty to the stabbing of Anwar Iskander and Ali Eysa Ali.

Magistrate Josette Demicoli heard that on December 10, the accused - who is being remanded in custody -  stabbed one of his alleged victims after he took exception to him leaving.

Taking the witness stand, one of the victims, Ali Eysa Ali, recounted that on the day, the three men were drinking whiskey at the home he shared with the accused in Triq id-Duluri, Hamrun.

The witness explained that at around 8:45pm, his friend and fellow Sudanese national Anwar Iskander wanted to go home but Ahmed took exception to him leaving.

“I went to bed, and as soon as Iskander was putting on his shoes, I heard screams coming from the kitchen. I then went back and I saw Iskander bleeding and Ahmed holding a knife,” Ali explained.

Speaking through a translator, Ali explained that as soon as he tried to wrestle the knife away from the Somali, the accused stabbed him. However, moments later, the accused change his version of events, this time claiming that the accused had slipped and mistakenly stabbed him.

Under cross-examination, the man insisted that no argument had erupted, and that he is at odds as to why the accused carried out the stabbing.

After the stabbing incident, the two Sudanese men went to the Hamrun police station to file a police report.

PC Antoine Guillaimier testified that at around 10pm, the two Sudanese victims turned up at the police station with their clothes drenched in blood. An ambulance transported the men to Mater Dei Hospital.

One of the victims, Anwar Iskander, suffered internal injuries and is still in hospital, while Ali Eysa Ali suffered slight injuries.

The police constable explained that upon arriving at the Hamrun residence, the accused reeked of alcohol. Moreover, police discovered a bed sheet covered in blood.

During interrogation, Abdirahman Ahmed denied the charges and insisted that he had been asleep.

On his part, Police Inspector Robert Vella said the weapon used in the attack is yet to be identified as the knives found at the scene of the crime had been washed. Nevertheless, the inspector said that one of the knives appeared to have red stains on its handle and was sent for forensic examination.

Police Inspectors Robert Vella and Edel Mary Camilleri are leading the prosecution, while Lawyer Joe Ellis is legal aid.

The case has been adjourned until January 28.

More in Court & Police