[WATCH] Activists reinstate Caruana Galizia memorial

The shrine to the murdered journalist was cleared once again on Monday night

The memorial was once again cleared on Monday night
The memorial was once again cleared on Monday night

Banners and candles honouring assassinated journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia have been returned to the foot of the Great Siege monument in Valletta after they were cleared yet again on Monday night.

Activist Manuel Delia, whom the banner belongs to, said that he had gone to the Valletta police station, after the memorial was cleared on Monday night for the second time in a matter of days.

Delia said he was told by the police that the banner and candles had been removed by the cleansing department officials working on the direct orders of the Justice minister.

“We will keep resisting the government’s attempts at silencing freedom of expression,” Delia said.

The cleansing department made another attempt at clearing the memorial on Saturday.

On Sunday, Delia filed a request for an injunction to stop the government from removing the banners and candles once again.

The memorial has been controversial since it was first set up 11 months ago and has been cleared on a number of occasions.

Earlier this month, the area around the monument was boarded up with Justice minister Owen Bonnici announcing that the restoration works on the foot of the monument would be carried out, a move considered by many as an attempt to deter activists from placing banners and candles at the site.  

More in National

Get access to the real stories first with the digital edition

Subscribe