Deadly protests in Kenya over election fraud claim as commission denies system was hacked

Kenya's chief electoral officer said his team had 'established that the claims being made could not be substantiated'

Violent protests break out in Kenya following election result
Violent protests break out in Kenya following election result

At least five people have been killed in post-election violence in Kenya after opposition leader Raila Odinga claimed "massive" fraud in Tuesday's vote.

However, Kenya's electoral commission has denied the claims that its IT system was hacked in order to manipulate the election results.

Provisional results indicated a strong lead for President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Chief electoral officer Ezra Chiloba said his team had "established that the claims being made could not be substantiated".

"I wish to take this opportunity to confirm that our elections management system is secure. There were no external or internal interference to the system at any point before, during or after the voting," he added, amid repeated calls for calm.

The opposition's claim has led to sporadic outbreaks of violence.

Two people were shot dead in the capital Nairobi on Wednesday, the city's police chief Japheth Koome said, claiming they took advantage of the protests to steal.

At least one more person was shot dead earlier in the day in South Mugirango constituency in Kisii County, around 300km west of Nairobi, during a clash with the security forces, according to Leonard Katana, a regional police commander, the AP news agency reported.

In the southeastern Tana River region, police said five men armed with knives had attacked a vote tallying station and stabbed one person to death.
"Our officers killed two of them and we are looking for others who escaped," said regional police chief Larry Kieng.
"We have not established the motive yet, we don't know if it is political or if it's a criminal incident but we are investigating and action will be taken."

In the port city of Kisumu, the hometown of Odinga, police used tear gas and shot at supporters of the opposition leader, said demonstrator Sebastian Omolo.

"He is not accepting the results and that is why we are on the streets, but police have started shooting," Omolo said.

More in World

Get access to the real stories first with the digital edition