Maltese diplomats in Libya recalled, government warns all Maltese to leave Libya

Foreign Affairs ministry recalls remaining Maltese diplomats due to ‘ever increasing political pressures’.

The two remaining Maltese diplomats who were still manning Malta’s Embassy in Tripoli have been recalled to Malta after being subjected to “ever increasing political pressures, the foreign affairs ministry said.

The ministry said that in view of the deteriorating political situation in Libya, the Tobruk government, and the country’s self-proclaimed parliament, “the Maltese authorities had no alternative but to recall the remaining diplomats.”

“Our diplomats were, on the one hand, sternly and officially warned by the Tobruk government not to communicate in any way with the self-proclaimed Parliament in Tripoli, while at the same time officials representing the Parliament in Tripoli were piling pressure on the Maltese diplomats and the Maltese authorities to recognise the Tripoli government,” the ministry said.

This was in spite of the fact that the foreign affairs ministry emphasised they “had never, and will never, interfere in the internal affairs of Libya."

“However, the Maltese diplomats have been subjected to ever increasing political pressures over the last days in the exercise of their official duties.”

“In view of this deteriorating situation in Libya which could possibly expose our diplomats to unnecessary risks to their personal safety, the Maltese authorities had no alternative but to decide that the two remaining diplomats also be instructed to return to Malta,” the ministry added.

The ministry said that, last week, it also asked Malta’s ambassador to Libya to return to Malta for political consultations.

“The Ministry for Foreign Affairs recalls that it had already advised that the Embassy in Tripoli would no longer be able to provide consular assistance after August 6, and renews its travel advice against all travel to Libya. It also strongly advises all Maltese nationals in Libya to leave.”

“In the light of this recent development, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs further advises that those in need of consular assistance should contact the Crisis Centre, which has been reactivated by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs as of today.”

The centre, at the ministry in Merchants’ Street, Valletta, can be reached on +356 2204 2200 or freephone 8007 2203.

More in National