61-year-old man pleads guilty to defiling minor

Anthony Pirotta, 61, who pleaded guilty to a violent attempt on the morals of a male minor, was denied bail

A 61-year-old man from Qormi was remanded in custody today after pleading guilty to molesting a 15-year-old boy yesterday.

Appearing in front of Magistrate Grazio Mercieca, Anthony Pirotta admitted to having committed a violent attempt on the morals of a minor in Qormi on Wednesday between 10am and noon. He also pleaded guilty to breaching the conditions of a previous court order.

Police inspector John Spiteri said in Court that the man had already been previously sentenced for similar offences and that the only viable option for him was some sort of treatment.

“We believe the accused needs some sort of treatment or else we risk having more victims,” he said.

The prosecution and the defence agreed to a pre-sentencing report on the accused.

The Court denied bail, but suggested that a better alternative to the Corradino Correctional Facilities be found to house Pirotta.

Inspectors John Spiteri and Rodrick Agius prosecuted, while Pirotta was assisted by lawyers Franco Debono and Amadeus Cachia.

More in National

Get access to the real stories first with the digital edition

Subscribe