Back
Register for SMS Alerts
or enter your details manually below...
First Name:
Last Name:
Email:
Password:
Hometown:
Birthday:
Sorry, we couldn't find that email.
Existing users
Email
Password
Sorry, we couldn't find those details.
Enter Email
Sorry, we couldn't find that email.

Planning Authority grants permit for Naxxar parish church restoration

The works will be carried out in accordance with an approved restoration method statement and monitored by the Planning Authority’s conservation officials

7 September 2016, 10:05am
The Naxxar parish church is dedicated to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The Naxxar parish church is dedicated to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The Planning Commission has granted planning permission for restoration works to be carried out on the main façade of the protected Grade 1 Naxxar Parish Church building dedicated to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

The works will include the removal of black deposits, dirt and metal fixtures including all the lighting system attached to the façade and metal conduits. In parts of the façade, where the stone has decteriorated, new stone will be used to replace those that are damaged.

The works will be carried out in accordance with an approved restoration method statement and monitored by the Planning Authority’s conservation officials.

The present parish church was built between 1614 and 1630, due to an increasing population. The original design has been attributed to architect Tumas Dingli. The plan of the church is based on a latin cross conforming to the architectural trend of church building in Malta at the beginning of the seventeenth century.

The original façade of the church followed the typical wide column structure and was divided into three vertical bays. At the beginning of the 20th century work began on the foundations for a new façade with high steeples and side chapels. The original design and proportions of the church had been heavily changed due to these alterations and enlargement.

In the pastoral visitation report of 1653, the bishop remarked that the church was the most beautiful of all the churches on the island – “Inter hulus insulae ecclesias bene primatum obtinult.”

The Planning Authority scheduled this parish church as a Grade 1 monument on 26th August 2011 as per Government Notice 782.

Latest Environment News
19:29
The Nationalist Party has announced its executive has approved the termination of the Forza Nazzjonali coalition agreement
19:10
In a break with tradition, the couple have decided not to marry on a weekday, as with other royal weddings
17:49
In his application Christopher Bartolo stated that the conditions in jail, where he is being held, were 'not ideal for his present medic...
17:46
24-year-old man involved in motorcycle crash in Marsa with car driven by 27-year-old woman
16:43
The court rejected the Attorney General's appeal on the grounds that when the case was assigned to a different magistrate ' the pros...