No bail for Somali charged with Floriana Health Centre fracas

Homeless man remanded in custody over charges of causing damage to computers and parts of the Health Centre's reception area when he went on the rampage

A homeless Somali man who wrought havoc at the Floriana Health Centre earlier this month has been remanded in custody this afternoon after being charged in connection with the incident.

20-year-old Abdimalik Ahmed Mohamed caused damage to computers and parts of the Health Centre's reception area when he went on the rampage at 7.20pm on the 8th of April. The cause of the Somali man's destructive behaviour, which caused the Health Centre to be closed for a number of days, is not known.

The accused injured himself in the fracas and required hospital treatment, as did a security guard, who suffered cuts caused by broken glass.

Prosecuting Inspector Jeffrey Scicluna informed the magistrate that the accused had to be taken to Mt Carmel Hospital due to his behaviour at the police station.

A repentant-looking Mohamed asked for the court's forgiveness from the moment he was led into Magistrate Consuelo Scerri Herrera's courtroom this afternoon.

Mohamed, who is homeless and indigent, refused the court's offer to appoint a legal aid lawyer.

He is accsued of wilful damage to the health centre, causing bodily harm to the security guard, breaching the peace and relapsing.

“Everything you say is true, but in my mind it is not real,” the accused replied, when asked whether he was pleading guilty or not guilty.

The magistrate took note of the accused's claim that he was not in his right mind at the time of the commission of the offence. A medical certificate was presented by the prosecution, confirming that the accused was fit for the purpose of standing trial.

A psychiatrist was appointed to examine the mental state of the accused and whether he suffers from any mental condition that could have affected his behaviour. The psychiatrist's report is to be exhibited in the next sitting.

Bail was refused due to the fact that the accused lacked a fixed address. Mohamed had been brought to court directly from Mt. Carmel Hospital, where he has been held since his arrest. The director of prisons was ordered to ensure that the accused receive any necessary medical assistance.

The case will continue to be heard on 5 May.