Young man accused of trying to run over police officer remanded in custody

Youth who tried to run over a female police officer is a recidivist

The magistrate denied bail despite the prosecution not objecting to the request by the defence
The magistrate denied bail despite the prosecution not objecting to the request by the defence

Kurt David Farrugia, 18, from Qormi, was remanded in custody after being accused of attempting to run over a female police officer. 

The court decided not to release him from arrest since he was a recidivist and had breached bail conditions with a personal guarantee of €5,000.

Farrugia was charged with driving a vehicle without a license, driving the same Skoda without an insurance policy, disobeying orders and driving with the express purpose of running over a police officer while performing her duties.

The prosecution claimed that the accused regularly commits these crimes in and around Bormla and asked for a temporary protection order for the female officer in question.

Farrugia pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Defence lawyer Mario Mifsud asked the court to release the 18-year-old from preventive arrest.

“We do not object to this plea, but the prosecution is adamant that the court should force the accused from going anywhere near Bormla as the situation there is worsening,” Police Inspector Eman Hayman said.

Despite the parties’ agreement on granting bail, the court rejected the request and ordered the accused to remain in police custody. 

“The court denies the request for bail because this benefit has already been granted for a previous crime and he allegedly committed crimes again,” the court said, adding that it was also issuing a temporary protection order for the victim.

The defence replied that there were CCTV cameras under the remit of the Bormla local council that would throw light onto the incident.

“The female sergeant was not in danger of losing her life. We, as a defence, have asked for the footage ourselves,” Mifsud said.

Visibly irked by the court’s decision to refuse bail, Mifsud told the prosecuting officer that he should check the footage as soon as possible.

“There’s a difference between not obeying orders and to expressly manoeuvre to kill someone. We don’t believe the latter is the case. There’s a cinema-worth of footage,” Mifsud said, adding that so far his client had a clean conduct since the other case was still ongoing.

Magistrate Charmaine Galea asked Mifsud to quieten down.

“Bite your tongue or you will be held in contempt of the court,” she said. “If upon release from prison he approaches the female sergeant again, Farrugia will get a maximum of two years in prison and a €7,000 fine.”