PA to support new transport museum with €400,000

The Planning Authority will be providing the Birkirkara local council with €400,000 to go towards converting the former railway station building to a transport museum

The project will see the former railway station building converted into a transport museum
The project will see the former railway station building converted into a transport museum

The Planning Authority will partially fund a Birkirkara local council project with €400,000, in order to create Malta’s first transport museum.

Housed in the former railway station building situated in Gnien l-Istazzjon, the project will include the change of use of the existing child care centre into a transport museum, the installation of a lift, the placing of a kiosk with tables and chairs, refurbishment works within the garden and the repositioning of the only surviving train wagon in front of museum.

Restoration works on the former train station building will include the unblocking of windows, removal of metal fixtures, repair of deteriorated stone elements and the preservation of historical signs painted on the facade.

The Malta Railway was inaugurated on 28 February 1883, with a line starting from Valletta to the old capital city of Mdina. There were six stations along the route which were Valletta, Hamrun, Birkirkara, Attard, Rabat and Mtarfa. The railway was decomissioned on 31 March 1931.

The Authority also signed an agreement with the Marsaskala local council to fully fund the resurfacing of the carriage way of Triq il-Qaliet, to the tune of nearly €118,000. The works will include the scarifying of existing material and laying of asphalt.

Both these projects are being financed by the Authority's Development Planning Fund, which brings together the PA's Urban Improvement Fund with money collected through its Commuted Parking Payment Scheme. In addition, 20% of revenue generated through applications for the regularisation of development is also being directed to the fund.

More in Townscapes