Updated | Libyans request Malta’s help to assist fighters injured in ISIS conflict

Arrangements underway to bring to Malta Libyan security forces injured in clashes against ISIS • Government to accept 'minimal number'

 Sabratha municipal council released images of the aftermath of the US airstrike targeting a Daesh meeting
Sabratha municipal council released images of the aftermath of the US airstrike targeting a Daesh meeting

The Libyan authorities have requested Malta’s help to provide assistance to security forces injured in clashes against ISIS in the western Libyan city of Sabratha.

Informed sources have confirmed that arrangements are underway to bring the injured to Malta. "Government is ready to accept a minimal number of injured from Libya," the sources said.

Security checks are underway and, once clearance is given, Malta will accept "a small number of those injured at war". Their medical certificates are also being analysed.

The government has offered to accomodate 10 patients at Mater Dei and St James Hospital. The number of patients expected in Malta has not yet been confirmed.

Islamist militants have taken advantage of political chaos and a lack of central authority to establish a presence in Libya, with fighters loyal to Islamic State seizing control in Sirte and staging attacks in several other cities.

11 members of local security forces were beheaded by IS militants earlier this week and six others were killed in clashes.

Late on Wednesday the Deterrence force, an armed brigade based in Tripoli that has a counter-terrorism role, said it had arrested three senior Libyan Islamic State members in a suburb of the capital, including Sabratha commander Mohamed Saad Altajouri.

More in National