Alleged rapist denies breaching bail curfew

The 39-year-old man, who is accused of the rape and harassment of his ex-girlfriend, could lose €24,000 after he was caught partying in Paceville past his curfew

The accused was allegedly caught partying in Paceville past his curfew (File photo)
The accused was allegedly caught partying in Paceville past his curfew (File photo)

A man accused of rape and harassment stands to lose his €24,000 bail bond after the police obtained proof of him partying in Paceville past his curfew.

The 39-year-old from Portugal, had been denied bail upon his arraignment in November on charges of harassment and rape of his ex-girlfriend, who worked as a dancer in Paceville.  

Despite the initial refusal, his release was later granted by Magistrate Ian Farrugia after a fresh request was filed. But his bail had been revoked by the Criminal Court after the Attorney General opposed his release. A later application for bail had been upheld during the compilation of evidence, after all civilian witnesses had testified and had been the subject of an appeal by the Attorney General.

After a review was requested, the Criminal Court had amended his bail conditions on 12 February, extending his curfew to 9pm instead of 11pm and increasing his bail deposit to €10,000 from the original €6,000, together with a personal guarantee of €14,000 – bringing his total bail bond to €24,000.

But notwithstanding the staggering amount he stood to lose if he breached his bail conditions, the man was spotted in a club in Paceville on 10 March, dancing with various women, close to midnight and outside his curfew hours. The police were informed, and later obtained CCTV footage to prove, that the man was out dancing and enjoying himself at 11:45pm, Inspector Bernadette Valletta told magistrate Donatella Frendo Dimech today.

The man had then started contacting the woman’s ex-boyfriend, in violation of court orders, asking him whether he had had sex with her as she was now pregnant. This amounted to harassment, said the inspector.

The defence argued that the other man did not live in Malta and was not a party to the proceedings.

The accused pleaded not guilty to breaching bail. Bail was not requested.

Magistrate Frendo Dimech remanded the man in custody. The case will continue on Monday.

Lawyers Franco Debono, Marion Camilleri and Amadeus Cachia are appearing for the man.

 

More in Court & Police