Authorities mum on death of girl at Dominican Sisters’ home

The family of the girl was living independently in the residence, having been moved there from Hal Far two years ago

The girl  was found dead at the Dominican Sisters home in Zabbar on Sunday
The girl was found dead at the Dominican Sisters home in Zabbar on Sunday

The family of the seven year-old girl Nigerian girl who died at the Dominican Sisters’ residence in Zabbar was moved there two years ago from Hal Far, MaltaToday has learned.

Alfred Grixti, CEO of the Foundation for Social Welfare Services, said that the move had been co-ordinated by Agenzija Appogg, but would give no further details. “Investigations are still ongoing and it would be unethical to release information on the family at this time,” he said.

The Dominican Sisters would not comment when contacted, claiming that they did not deal with the family directly and had nothing to do with the case. From what MaltaToday can gather, the family was living independently in the residence offered to them by the Sisters, and not directly under their care.

The girl was found dead in the residence in Zabbar on Sunday evening. The cause of death has not yet been certified, the social solidarity ministry said yesterday. An inquiry into the case is being led by magistrate Ian Farrugia.

More in National

Get access to the real stories first with the digital edition

Subscribe